Sunday, March 20, 2011

No Neglect Allowed

“You shall not be allowed to neglect them”  Deut. 22:3

People are hurting out there.  Can I as a Christian ignore hurting people or people in need?  No, I can’t. Especially when it comes to my brothers and sisters in Christ.  Yet, I do, frequently.  Driving up on an exit ramp, my eyes meet a man with a sign asking for help.  My eyes turn away.  Oh, it is probably a fraud, I rationalize.  Or maybe it is thoughts like “Why can’t that guy go to a church and get help?” Or, I’m late and I don’t have time to stop.  Where do those thoughts come from?

If I am growing closer to the Lord, the neglect becomes harder and harder.  The presence of the Holy Spirit is so overwhelming.  It is not a guilt trip – it is true sorrow.  I know the difference.  Guilt comes from within me, sorrow comes from the kind of compassion Jesus felt.  I am saddened by the revelation of my sin.  I am saddened by observing a friend in need that I have chosen to ignore.      

The priest passed by the other side of the road. The Levite passed by the other side of the road.  Two religious guys.  Two stellar religious guys.  But the Samaritan mongrel stopped and helped.  He even went the extra mile as if to really show us what compassion truly means.  A Samaritan, the most despicable human being to the orthodox Jew of Jesus day.  

You see someone in trouble – help them.  A neighbor has responsibility.  Ignorance is not an option.  Deuteronomy 22 says it emphatically in reference to straying and fallen animals.  But the principle is larger – help them.  Deut 22:4 – you shall certainly help them follows the prohibition of neglect.  Not neglecting means helping.  Helping means stepping out of my comfort zone.

1 comment: