Monday, August 8, 2011

Wall Street– A Perspective

Today, the Dow fell 634 points, the largest drop in 2 1/2 years and the sixth largest on record.  The drop was based partly on an S&P downgrade and the slowing U.S. economy plus escalating debt problems threatening Europe.  The fall is reminiscent of the roller coaster ride we had several years ago.  The market has given back all of its 2011 gains and then a lot more.  Suddenly everyone is talking double dip recession and there is anger and fear in people’s voices.  Republicans blame the Democrats and Obama.  Democrats blame the Tea Party specifically.  There is plenty of blame to go around.  I have an opinion, but that is not the point of this blog.  image

Several years ago, I spent a ton of time being an active stock picker.  I attended the Money Show multiple times, took training and got my hands on just about every investment book I can find.  I am still a lifetime member of the American Association of Independent Investors.  I loved the thrill of the markets.  I dabbled quite a bit at the end in options which even heightened the thrill.  But as I look back on it now,. I find myself wondering how I could have wasted so much time.  This is not an indictment against people who do that kind of thing.  It is a rush and some people do it a lot better than I can. For a while there I thought I was really good as I significantly outperformed the market and my own former investment manager.  But it didn’t keep up and slowly I lost interest.  Further in 2008 like others I lost a ton of money in it.  That and investing a ton of money in a failed company so now we don’t have much to lose in the stock market. 

Like a lot of people, the markets for me were a symptom of other issues.  Relational issues, spiritual issues, social issues, pride issues, sinful attitude issues.  As I look back on it, I had misplaced priorities.  To some degree I still do.  It is a daily struggle to align the real priorities of faith, family, and friends.  A friend of mine lost a dear friend of his suddenly, unexpectedly.  Another friend struggles through a marriage.  Sorrow gives a different perspective.  There is the laughter that comes along with hanging out with family at the zoo Saturday.  The joy that comes from being around friends when I play baseball.  The joy of hanging out with brothers as we study the bible Tuesday morning.  True joy brings a different perspective.

I am not at the place where God could take everything temporal (not looking for a Job experience), but I am close to that.  God has slowly driven it into my thick skull that relationships and the word of God are the only things that will survive for eternity.  I have been dragged kicking and screaming into this equation.  But as I slowly come to this realization, something like scales fall from my eyes.  I am like the blind man whom Jesus partially heals in Luke that sees people walking around like tree trunks.  I don’t have full clarity, but it is getting there. 

2 comments:

  1. Proverbs 4:6-7 NIV Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you; love her, and she will watch over you. Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recall something my brother said to me many times about priorities. He told me, never forget you top three priorities:

    1. God
    2. Family
    3. Chuch

    While I spent a lot of time ignoring 1 and 3, and not really have 2, in the past year these have all creeped back into my life, but I have been untested in the last year, so maintaining right now isn't too difficult, but I know we all face hardships which will challenge these priorities. I can only hope that reading your blog and others and constantly understanding that evil powers continue to work and lurk around me that want to test my priorities that I will be prepared to realize temptations, but to also turn away from them.

    There's many things Christians do without realizing it that affect other down the road. I can tell you that although in the course of our relationship you never once verbally spoke to me about your relationship with god, your physical approach to life and your devotion was very evident. I credit part of my turnaround to a number of people in my life who lead by example. They didn't really wag their finger at me and say "shame on you, you should be in Church." They simply lived their life. While I was facing anger issues and felt a lot of unhappiness in my life, I clearly saw that opposite in you and others who I credit with bringing me full circle.... and you continue to do this now through your blog. I read this and get a completely different meaning than what a lot of others may get. I see a man who in my eyes has been unfaltering in his relationship with Christ, but now see him open up and admit that temptations sometimes can get the better of him. I realize that I too will face this, but because of reading this I feel like I am better prepared to hopefully identify it and work it out.

    Growing in Christ,

    TB

    ReplyDelete