Sunday, December 11, 2011

Packers Stock

I have this hot stock for $250 a share.  Just a few small catches.   It pays no dividends, will not go up in price and even if it did, was not transferable.  Oh and it has no resale vaue anyway.  You would think that I would have a hard time getting takers for this stock. Yet the Green Bay Packers sold 1600 orders in the first 11 minutes. The President and CEO made no bones about the intent. 

"I encourage you to buy shares of stock in the Packers. We need your help. As an owner, you will be invited to shareholder meetings and have voting privileges. Ownership will also provide you with significant bragging rights. You will become an owner of the defending world champions, a team that has won more world championships than any other team in the NFL."

So the shares were sold with the sole value of bragging rights. I don't know about you, but $250 is an awful lot of money for bragging rights. Now I love the Packers. I adopted them as my second favorite team (to the woeful Browns) when I worked for a Milwaukee company. But I am not spending $250 per share for bragging rights.  

Isn't it strange how gifts of unlimited value given freely are turned down, but given a chance to spend on worthless, we will pay any price. God has given us a truly remarkable gift with far more "bragging rights" than any Packers stock. It cost us nothing, but cost Him everything. Further, our identification is with a team that has already won the Super Bowl. The game of life has already been won, the time has just not ended yet. The bookies would have a field day knowing the outcome is decided, but the game is still at hand. Don't want to go crazy on this analogy - you get my drift. 

On this Christmas season, will you buy what is worthless and ignore a gift that is priceless?

No comments:

Post a Comment