Sunday, February 19, 2012

Memories From the Heart

As most of us know, Whitney Houston died this past week.  But what fewer of us know is an author by the name of Jeffrey Zaslow died also tragically in a car accident in upstate Michigan.  Zaslow was the award winning author of a number of books including “The Last Lecture” and books on Gabriel Giffords and Chester “Sully” Sullenberger.  His most recent book was on the passage of our daughters into marriage called “The Magic Room”.  it was incredibly fresh because Deb and I had just finished reading it.  It was about a bridal shop in Fowler, Michigan that imagesells dresses to brides all over the Midwest and in the book he not only chronicles the history of the multi-generational bridal shop, but also the individual stories of the brides.

Mr Zaslow was the father of three daughters and it was the interview clip that I have posted below that prompted me to read the book.  As the father of three daughters and one recently married, the book tugged at my heart strings.  His premature death prompted me to again think of my own daughters and how much they mean to me.  What Mr. Zaslow was able to accomplish in his books is the kind of matters of the heart that each of us take for granted.  Yet he was not able to experience any of the weddings of his three daughters.  In his death he leaves a legacy of these types of insights that each of us need to contemplate.  I strongly urge you to read “The Magic Room” particularly if you have daughters.

Wall Street Journal This Morning

No comments:

Post a Comment