Sunday, January 13, 2013

Be Goals

I first heard about the concept of "Be Goals" from Andy Stanley's Leadership podcast.  Andy Stanley is a pastor of North Point Community Church and he is a gifted pastor, but I get as much out of his leadership podcast as I do his sermons.

We typically set action oriented goals going into the new year such as lose weight, clean house, manage finances, etc.  There is nothing wrong with setting these goals.  However, these goals do not really define who we are.  Be Goals define who we are.  For example,
  • Be strong
  • Be committed
  • Be a man of integrity
For me, being a man of God trumps everything else.  I know that if I am a man of God, I can be a better spouse, CEO, professor, friend, neighbor, etc.  Establishing a strong vertical relationship with God is the prerequisite to establishing strong horizontal relationships. 

So commitment to Be Goals starts with being the man God wants me to be.  I also think the goal of being a man of God also translates to strong actions.  I find I stink at willing myself to action goals.  It takes all of a week for me to break down.  Because my outward condition is driven my inward condition.  So Be Goals strengthen the inner person which provides me the means to strengthen the outer person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment