Sunday, June 2, 2013

Broken Spokes

Yesterday, I took my bike into the bike store. I had two broken spokes on the rear wheel. The young man who was obviously much more knowledgeable on bikes than I am asked me how long I had been riding on the broken spokes. I said "much of last year on the one and a few weeks on the second one". He kind of grimaced and said "Oh, that is not good". I asked him why. He said that when a spoke goes, the rest of the wheel takes the added pressure of the damaged spoke so that you could very much damage the wheel if you continue to ride the bike. Point taken, my damaged spoke was inflicting stress on the rest of the wheel and now the potential damage is much greater.

How much my broken spoke reminds me of the effect my sin has. My sin may seem like just a little broken spoke, but it has the potential to damage me, my relationship with God, my relationship with my wife, my co-workers, etc. Yes, we all sin, but the cavalier attitude we have towards sin is like my cavalier attitude towards my broken spoke. I did put duct tape on the spoke after all. We need to take a hard-line towards sin and deal with it right away as I should have done with my broken spokes. If we don't, we have the potential to inflict damage to the wheel.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment