Sunday, June 8, 2014

Thoughts on the Donald Sterling Affair

I usually don't weigh in on something like the whole Donald Sterling mess, but have thought about it a lot the past few weeks.

No surprise that what comes out of man is amazingly wicked
He said some bad stuff. I thought if there was a tape recording going on in my head as thoughts pop in, I would render 10 times worse than Donald Sterling. I am a racist, sexist, polygamist, and any other "ist" there is. Should we really be surprised at anything that proceeds out of the mouth of man?

“But the things that proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and those defile the man. “For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, slanders.
Matt. 15:18-19


Wasn't the matter said in private?
Ouch, if everything I said to someone privately out of frustration became public, I would have to sell my empire (??) too. Didn't the law get broken in the process of breaking a private confidence? Shouldn't we assume that what we say in private stays private? Shouldn't the betrayal of confidence receive the greater notoriety?

Social media is making private conversations that much harder to keep private
Wow, social media is powerful. I find myself thinking to public figures who would be subject to scandal based on exposing what is said privately. The risk is that we become a much more guarded society because what we say can become known so fast. I wonder if Solomon in his description in Ecclesiastes below would know the impact the "bird" of social media would have.

Furthermore, in your bedchamber do not curse a king, and in your sleeping rooms do not curse a rich man, for a bird of the heavens will carry the sound, and the winged creature will make the matter known.
Ecclesiastes 10:20 

More is made of the racist comments than the apparent adultery going on
No doubt that Sterling said some bad stuff, but nothing was said of his apparent adultery going on with his "personal assistant". I remember a day when adultery caught people's attention as a pretty heinous sin. 

I think people react because they know they are probably just as guilty in their own thought lives
We seem pretty quick to point our flaws in others characters. Maybe we should spend some time analyzing our own deficiencies of character. Jesus says the sin of others should always cause us to look inside first.

No comments:

Post a Comment