Sunday, October 5, 2014

What if I Couldn't Remember?

In this morning's Plain Dealer, there was an article about a woman who had had a traumatic brain injury at age 22 which caused her to lose all of her memory. Su Meck wrote a book about the experience called "I Forgot to Remember: A Memoir of Amnesia".  Most amnesia has limited effect both in its severity and in its length of time. Su Meck has what is called retrograde amnesia and results in no previous memory.  One of my favorite movies is 50 First Dates which has a similar theme as the character had no memory beyond each day. Here is a funny clip from the movie.


Communion is the act of remembering what Jesus has done on the cross. Scripture says we are to "do this in remembrance of me" (Luke 22:19). It would be really hard to understand the nature of the Christian life without a backward look at a specific time and place. This was a real event and it would be impossible to have a relationship with God without the ability to look back upon the event.

Su Meck found herself unable to remember anything from the past. It deeply impacted her relationships with her friends and family. The focal points were all of the sudden gone. Memories of childhood, or family events, of even her own marriage and kids suddenly erased.

Sometimes I treat the historical death of Jesus like that. It is like my own version of retrograde amnesia. It is so vital to remember - to look back. I think God knows our temptation to put this event on the back burner. Communion draws us back to the event in history that reconciled us to God. We must never forget what God has done for us. Scripture further says we are not to "diss" (my words) Communion by treating it an unworthy manner (1 Cor. 11:27). If I don't believe what it is and what it represents, I am putting myself under judgment. That is why coming to Communion requires self examination. I look at the gap between my sin and what God had to do to reconcile Himself to me. Purposeful remembering is vital.

No comments:

Post a Comment