Sunday, April 12, 2015

Heed the Signals

One of my favorite bike routes takes me up Route 82 to the Summit Bike and Hike Trail. You can then take that south where it connects to the Portage Bike Trail or north where it connects to the Cuyahoga Bike and Hike trail. Route 82 is quite busy and the speed limit along that road is 45 miles an hour. The trail actually crosses Route 82. There is a crossing signal that you can initiate as a walker or cyclist which issues flashing lights to the traffic. However, I have learned a long time ago that at best 1 in 3 people will actually stop for the flashing lights to let the people cross. Some probably don't know they are supposed to stop, some may not care and proceed anyway, and then there is the group that actually lets people cross.

I was reminded that God issues warning signals throughout the Scriptures. It is not good for us to violate those signals. They are there for our own good. Like the crossing signals however, we can be ignorant of them (not know they are really there and for our own good), we can choose to ignore them (in which case, beware because they are there for a reason) or we can obey them. I find in my own life that I have to have a willingness and even a yearning to obey the signals. I have to trust that they are there for my good. I have to trust that they are there for me to be everything God wants me to be. And then I have to take the step of obedience.

It is not enough to desire to obey the signals. I am sure some who pass through probably think they should but they don't. Maybe they are in a hurry. But intent simply is not good enough. We must desire AND actually take the step of obedience. Our life depends on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment