Sunday, June 14, 2015

Are Storms Predictable?

This summer seems to be especially unpredictable when it comes to rain showers. Seems like they are popping up every day. I wanted to get on my bike and it had just rained today. So I popped up my trusty Weather Channel app and looked at the weather by hour which looked like this.

Looking at the hourly at the time there was a two hour window where there was 0% chance of rain. Thus I had a two hour window to get my ride in which is pretty much what I needed. That is pretty cool that in the midst of a stormy, rainy day, I can squeeze my ride in. As I sit here typing this blog, the weather isn't looking too hot.

We wish that trials were like this. God tells us that trials come. In fact 100% of people experience trials. God says in James 1:2 to "consider it all joy when you encounter various trials" (emphasis mine). It is not if, it is when you experience trials. Like saying to Clevelanders, you will have snow this winter. So we pack salt and get the snow shovels. The trick to trials is to prepare for them so that when they come, we have the foundation to endure them. Earlier this week I went to a Pirates game as I was in Pittsburgh. There were forecasts for the game of rain so some of us (not me) brought an umbrella. When the storm did come, I went back under the stands for cover.

The disciples knew that storms on the Sea of Galilee were commonplace. They did not know when but as seasoned fisherman they knew they were coming. Yet when the storm came and even knowing they had Jesus in the boat they panicked. If we know that we have Jesus present in our lives, we can withstand the storms of life whenever they come. We can even grow through them.

No comments:

Post a Comment