Sunday, July 26, 2015

Plugging Into Life Giving Light

We have had a ton of rain so far this summer. For a guy who is sun starved like me, this is a major issue. I have seasonal affective disorder that hits really hard from November through April. I take 10,000 units of Vitamin D to counter this malady. Normally I go off Vitamin D from late April through October, but with all of the gloom in June I almost went back on it. So it has been so nice to actually have days of straight sunshine for the past week. I took a break while riding my bike to just soak in the sunshine that my body really craved.

It is not surprising that one of the I AM statements that Jesus used is the light of the world. He said "He who follows me will not walk in the darkness but will have the Light of life" (John 8:12). I don't think the light of life was referring to man-made fluorescent light which didn't exist at the time of Christ, but of the natural rays of the sun. It gives life-giving sustenance. Just as the body craves it, so the natural person craves the spiritual light and absence it, we seek substitutes.

I just finished a documentary on Antarctica. Four months of the year, there is virtually no light. The 700 people each year who "winter" in Antarctica are a special kind of people. But the sun skirts around the horizon in August and the wintering inhabitants literally soak it in for its brief period. I find if I am absence from the light of Christ too long, I become moody and depressed just like how I feel in the long winters. I desperately need that life giving light to counter the darkness of my soul.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment