Sunday, February 21, 2016

The Case of the "Secret" Service Worker

This week, I heard the case of the Spanish water utility civil servant who did "absolutely no work" for six years but continued to receive pay. Apparently the utility thought he was transferred to the local city hall. The only reason he was caught was because they were trying to recognize him for 20 years of "service". Spanish media has dubbed the man "el funcionario fantasma" which means the phantom official. The man was ordered to pay a fine of $27,000 but apparently the pay is his to keep.


What would cause someone to receive benefits but provide no service? That is the question I ask myself. When I came to know Jesus Christ as my Savior, I became the beneficiary of an incredible gift that I did not earn in any whatsoever. I also became part of a larger family, the church - the family of God. I have the benefits of being part of that family, but I also am expected to do my part. But so many of us are like the phantom official - they want to receive the benefits but provide no services. The church is a working organism that is reliant on each of us to do our part. Growing up, if I did not do my part as a member of my family (e.g. cleaning my room, doing the dishes, etc.), I was not a member of the family. I was a tenant or a border. The family necessitates each to do their part.

No comments:

Post a Comment