Thursday, February 10, 2011

Consolation to the Soul

In “When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, your consolations delight my soul.”  Psalm 94:19

this past week, I had a medical procedure that is normal and customary for a 51 year-old. Like a lot of us, I had some definite apprehension going into this minor surgery. I had experienced some changes to my physical body that had some connection to the medical procedure even though it was routine and I was concerned they would find something. When I was in preoperative with the nurse, she asked me "do you have any concerns?". I was honest and said yes. One of my biggest fears, particularly as I get older is a long and debilitating illness. I'm not afraid of dying because I know I will be in the presence of Jesus when I die. However a long and debilitating illness would be much tougher for me to handle.

I'm certain that God knows every anxious thought that we have. He does not give us any more than we can mentally and spiritually handle. In times of difficulty, his Spirit strengthens us beyond what we could possibly bear on our own. I have seen in the lives of some dear friends this exhibited much more as they battle cancer. When we are under stress, that is when we experience the abiding presence of God's grace. It is a comfort to know that Jesus experienced all that we have, yet without (Hebrews 4:15). He intercedes for us, and the Spirit intercedes for us with precisely the right prayer at the right time.

God does not give Christians a free pass.  We suffer the same effects of sin in this world as anyone else.  But what we do get is consolation to the soul and the assurance that God will not give us any more than we can handle. Further we know there is a glory beyond the grave where there is no more suffering in no more pain.

I made it through the medical procedure without incident. A relief for sure.  However, I know that times have come and will continue to come where God’s consolations will delight my soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment