Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Bin Laden – A Reaction

Obviously the big news of this week is the killing of Osama Bin Laden.  I am not at all questioning the justice of this killing.  This is a man who was responsible for the killing of thousands of innocent people and left unchecked probably would have killed thousands more.   There is certainly justification for taking out someone like this.  There was no question as to his guilt.  It was there for all to see.  There is certainly such a thing as righteous anger in wanting to see justice done.

What I am troubled by is the reaction of many Christians to this man’s death.  They personalize it something like “Burn in hell Bin Laden”.  It makes my skin craw for two reasons.  One, we don’t realize how close each of us is to being a Bin Laden.  Maybe not doing exactly the same things, but certainly capable of murder and exhibiting a complete lack of respect for life.  Certainly capable of thinking that we can earn salvation through hideous acts.  In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus tells us there is only a small difference between anger and murder (Matthew 5:22).  Without God’s grace, this earth would certainly slip into anarchy and the bible says it will during the tribulation period.  

Secondly, it is reminder of how deprived man really is.  Death should bring a certain sadness to each one of us.  It has a sting (1 Cor 15:56) no matter who it is.  I don’t wish anyone to a sentence of hell and had Bin Laden come to Jesus Christ, I would have gladly welcomed him as a brother.  You see each one of us is guilty of that same hell.  My reaction to Bin Laden’s death was quiet sobriety that man’s sin leads him and others to physical and spiritual death.

But in this sad state, there is a reminder of how good God is and how marvelous His grace is.  Left to my own devices, I am certainly subject to eternal damnation.  I can’t compare myself to Bin Laden.  I need to compare myself to God’s righteous standard and by that standard, I fall hopelessly short.  But thanks be to God who offers victory through Christ.

4 comments:

  1. Psalm 58: 10-11 The godly will rejoice when they see injustice avenged. They will wash their feet in the blood of the wicked. Then at last everyone will say, “There truly is a reward for those who live for God; surely there is a God who judges justly here on earth.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Celebrating in the streets...? Did someone just win a World Series? I question whether this reaction is appropriate for death, even if we are relieved he can do no more harm. A verse that comes to mind is Ezekiel 33:11, “I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. Josh, interesting observation since you grew up only 6 miles from Bin Laden. Here in the US, we really do live in a bubble.

    ReplyDelete