Sunday, May 1, 2011

Meeting with the King

We are a royal priesthood, a people belonging to God that we may declare the praises of Him who brought us out of darkness into His marvelous light.  1 Peter 2:9

Everyone is fascinated by the marriage of Prince William to Kate Middleton.  Debbie got up at 4:00 AM to watch the nuptials this past week.  I think my quote to her was “Don’t let the door hit you in the butt on the way out”.  No way that I would get up that early for that event.  Does not fascinate me in the least.  I on the other hand was fascinated by the NFL draft.  Not sure why – I think it is the combination of strategy, the moving around, the players, thinking who the Browns might screw up on (I mean draft), etc.  Debbie could care less about the NFL draft.   At least it did not require me to get up at 4:00 AM.  People are fascinated by the royals.  I am not sure why – maybe it is the lives they lead.  Maybe it is the leadership they exercise.  Maybe it is the privilege they exact.  We in this country don’t much understand it because we are not steeped in that tradition.  But if you live in the UK, you completely understand it.  If you are in that country, it is part of who you are. 

But can we fathom that we are part of royalty ourselves if we believe in the King of Kings, the Lord Jesus Christ?  We reign with Him.  We are ambassadors on HIs behalf.  Further, I have a personal relationship with that King.  Most human kings would not approachable by the common laity.  This King is completely approachable.  He is even a sacrificial King.  How many human Kings would give their lives for their subjects?  Do I pledge my allegiance and devotion to that King?  Do I make my relationship with that King my top priority? 

Yesterday, I had a call from a mayor of major city close by here.  I had just finished a bike ride and was just sitting on the bed watching the Indians in my underwear before taking the shower when he called.  Good thing it was not a video phone!.  Even though I knew it was audio only, I felt completely underdressed for the call and felt like I should dress up a little more.  Or at least put on some clothes.  The God who knows us intimately sees us sitting there in our worst underwear and yet still gives us an audience, even a relationship.  Are we prepared to give Him our best as our King?  Many times, I just give lip service to the King, giving Him my leftovers.  When I get up in the morning, I need to eagerly anticipate meeting with my King.  I may be in my moral underwear, but He still meets me there.  It is a privilege to meet with the King. 

No comments:

Post a Comment