Saturday, June 11, 2011

Much Wisdom–Much Pain

“Because in much wisdom, there is much grief, and increasing knowledge results in increasing pain”.  Ecclesiastes 1:18ip

Technology is a wonderful thing.  I am 51 years old.  If I had been born in the 18th century, I would have been a very old man (my kids may still consider me a very old man – it is relative).  If I lived in Sub Saharan Africa, I would still be considered an old man.  The average life expectancy in these countries still is in late thirties to early forties.  In the United States today, I can be expected to live 24 more years because the US life expectancy is 75 for a guy.  Women on the other hand get another five years.  We guys grind ourselves into the dust sooner.

Technology has also improved our way of life.  We have access at our fingerprints to so many things.  I can access the internet from wherever I am at any time.  We were talking recently how we used to carry bucketloads of CD’s on our vacation trips but now we simply plug in our iPod.  I can call my mom who lives in Peru for free using Skype and the Internet.  We can dial up entertainment that can be streamed down to our high definition T.V.  Think of all the advances we can expect to see in the next 50- 100 years. 

Yet for all this, man has not solved though his wisdom how to be satisfied and truly joyful.  In fact wisdom is FRUSTRATING.  By having wisdom, we think we can create happiness when all we can do is make pain more leisurely.  There are so many mysteries that simply cannot be solved through human wisdom.  The wiser we get, the more frustrated we become.  Solomon, the wisest person of all time could not find happiness.  You would think someone with Solomon’s wisdom would end well, but Solomon did not end well.  Ecclesiastes is his commentary of life based solely on human achievement.  Horses, women, wealth beyond all measure were Solomon’s, yet those things corrupted him. 

I have been following the NBA finals – mostly to root against the Miami Heat.  One of these two teams will be crowned the champion.  Yet, how many will remember who won the 2011 NBA finals ten years from now.  Someone once asked Duane Thomas a football player in the 1972 Super Bowl how he felt winning the “big game”.  He replied “if it is such a big game, why is there another one next year?”.  Good question! 

True Godly wisdom makes me aware of my failures.  I see myself the way God sees me as a fallen human being.  But I also see myself of being of infinite value to God that he would pay the ultimate sacrifice to have a relationship with me.  I am grieved by my sin, but overwhelmed by the love and joy I have in my relationship with my heavenly Father.  True Godly wisdom also makes me appreciate the value of personal relationships, both vertical and horizontal.  I realize that wisdom of this world is fleeting, but the wisdom that is motivated out of relationships is eternal.  That is the conclusion Solomon expresses in the book.  He concludes that the real key is to “fear God and keep His commandments: (12:13).  Then I see people the way God sees them; of deep and high personal value.  That is true wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment