Sunday, September 4, 2011

Do You Have a Right to be Angry?

We have been studying in the book of Jonah at our church.  This has caused me to really think through this short, but deep book.  Everyone that reads this book focuses on something different.  The great fish swallowing Jonah seems to be what gets the most Sunday School material.  Some have even questioned the legitimacy of this book given the fish story.  But the greater story here is the dialogue that Jonah and God have.  That is the more unbelievable story.  God desires a relationship, even when we are shaking our puny fist at Him.

Twice in Chapter 4, we have God asking Jonah if he has a right to be angry.  Once it is regarding the city of Ninevah and once regarding the plant that God built through the worm and then caused to whither.  Ninevah was repentant and God was gracious.  A double formula that none of us should be angry about.  Does anyone deserve to come into the kingdom on their own merits?  Is anyone beyond the reach of a compassionate and gracious God?  Of course the answer is a resounding “No”.  Can we ever be angry about God’s compassion?  No, because none of us deserve it. 

The worm is even more challenging.  I equate the plant and the worm to life’s circumstances.  My goodness, so many times I get frustrated by life’s events and just lash out.  How silly when compared to the weightier issues of eternity.  And that is God’s point – you were more concerned about the plant when souls are perishing.  In my vernacular, I am more concerned about my career, my baseball, my income, than I am people.  I have NO right to be angry about  anything.  Usually my anger is because I expect things to be different than what they are.  Life throws me a curveball.   But the active God is fully aware of my life and continuously brings me to lives that are waiting to be touched in some way.  The “worms” in life bring us to a more deeper awareness of God’s grace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment