Wednesday, November 9, 2011

86,400 to Invest

I have been given an investment to make each day that totals 86,400.  The stipulation is that I have to invest all of that amount each day and what is not spent is wasted.  There is no carryover of a balance into day two and so on.  Each day I get a new 86,400 to invest. 

By now, you probably have figured out that the 86,400 is seconds aimage day.  We all have been given the exact same investment and it is up to us to invest wisely.  I don’t know about you, but I feel like I waste so much time so often.  There are days where I question exactly what I did accomplish that day.  Sometimes I shortchange the 28,800 seconds I really need of sleep (like right now).  Is that a good investment?  I think it is but it is the one that many of us shortchange.  Is 2,700 enough for a concentrated bible study and prayer time in the morning.  I think so.  Could be more.  How about the 3,600 seconds on a good workout? 

Mindless time looking at junk e-mail may not be a good investment of time.  I probably spend 3,000 seconds on that.  Social technologies could be good or bad.  I am really glad I invest some time in Facebook and LinkedIn.  I have hooked up with old school chums and it keeps tabs on my kids activities and whereabouts.  But mind numbing time obsessing with that stuff to me is not a good investment.  For you Twitter dudes, I would imaging that you overdo time in this area.  I really don’t know why I would want to send text bits out all day.

The bottom line is you get to make the investment.  No one else can spend it for you unless you are incarcerated somewhere I suppose.  God gives each of us the same time – no more and no less.  I find that I must discipline myself to relax – seems strange, but I am wired to overdo it.  Same thing with relationships.  By my natural self, I will shortchange them.  I am not a pleasure seeker, but I love to work on “projects”.  I have to force myself into time with friends, family, and especially my wife.  I never regret it however.  God has wired us for relationship with both Him and His creation.  How more and more precious it becomes as I get older.  

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post and something that we all should think about. I know how much time I waste each day that is for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ephesians 5:15-16 "Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil."

    ReplyDelete