Sunday, November 30, 2014

Play to Pay

There is an expression used when you join a board of something like a company or a non-profit. It is called "Pay to Play" and it basically means that you are expected to contribute to the cause of the organization to have the privilege of being involved. I have noticed that most charities have adopted the converse of that and have incorporated a "Play to Pay" approach. Take this video for instance of Salvation Army volunteers on the streets of New York City. The old days of the gloomy guy ringing the bell have been replaced by entertainment. I have to admit I listened to these volunteers and felt more compelled to give. Why wouldn't Salvation Army be enough of a worthy cause to give in and of itself? Because it appeals to our sense of paying for something rather than giving something.





I am very glad that God does not operate on the principle of "Pay to Play". God gave us a gift that has no strings attached to it. The gift of salvation in Jesus Christ requires no performance on our part. However, the same theory that paying for something is more desirable than giving something offends us. But the giver of the gift expects nothing in return and there is nothing we could offer that could even come close to the value of the gift given. In fact, it is an insult to the giver to even attempt to pay for it. So these two principles collide which is what makes faith in Christ so hard.

My parents and in-laws over the years have given us lavish gifts, gifts that there is no way possible we could afford. I wish I could say I accepted them gratefully, but my pride made me want to pay them back. I was actually angry I received the gift. Some of us react to salvation that way. What God wants is to accept the gift gratefully with no strings. No "Pay to Play" and certainly no "Play to Pay". The gift stands alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment