Sunday, December 7, 2014

When an Apology is Not an Apology

Deb and I attended a Christmas party this past week at a very high-end establishment in downtown Cleveland. At this party were many of the "movers and shakers" of the city of Cleveland. The service was not so hot and it was pretty skimpy on the food but we didn't think a whole lot of it at the time. We were just glad to reconnect with some good friends we have met through this organization that put on the event.

The next day we received an e-mail from the director of the organization hosting the event. She passed along an "apology" from the general manager of the host establishment (I have masked who the establishment is because that is not the point here).

Thank you for coming to XX to attend the XX event on the evening of December 2nd. I would like to apologize for any unfulfilled expectations that you may have experienced during your event.  The XX staff and leadership take pride in our guests satisfaction, and you will each be receiving a $10 gift card to come and enjoy at your leisure.  We all want to thank you for your support and business; and if you may have any direct concerns please feel free to contact me at any time.

I had to read it several times - is this really an apology? Was it possibly my unrealistic expectations that were the problem? Doesn't an apology mean we admit to doing something wrong? Sorry but I didn't see it. Further, the $10 token was a really lame attempt to buy back some level of satisfaction. Aren't most of us really appreciative of a true apology and aren't expecting some token gesture.

I was reminded that we often approach God that way when we come in repentance. We pin our sin issue on God's mismanagement of our life. We put strings on our apology. We claim to God that we are making our puny efforts. We blame the presence of others. We are like Judas Iscariot who betrayed Jesus Christ - remorseful but not repentant.

I find God does not respond to my so-called apologies. I have to come to Him in abject poverty of soul and truly come clean. My half-hearted apology to God doesn't cut it. Am I truly burdened by my sin? Does it threaten my relationship with God and others? If so, I need to perform radical surgery on my attitude. A man who comes to God with ready excuses is a man who is not repentant. True repentance is without regret and leads to salvation (2 Cor. 7:10).

No comments:

Post a Comment