Sunday, September 20, 2015

The Written Word is Better

When we were at this wedding a few weeks ago, included in the invitation were written directions to the reception which was about 10-15 minutes away. The reception was on CoolSprings Church Road. My opinion at the time - written directions are stupid in an age of technology.

Easy enough - rather than follow the written directions, I will use technology. I plotted it on my GPS and we merrily go on our way following the GPS lady's directions. Until we get fairly far enough out of town and Deb says - "Where are you going?" I said CoolSprings Church Road and she says something like "this doesn't look right".  I look at my GPS and I had fat-fingered CoolSprings Road as Cook Springs Church Road. Now we are in the middle of nowhere and somehow the GPS is trying to direct me to this place called Cook Springs Road which I don't think exists.

No harm, no foul. I put the correct directions in the GPS and we get back on track. Until we see a sign that tells us that we are at the intersection of CoolSprings Church Road and, uh, CoolSprings Church Road (see the picture). I guess you just don't have enough CoolSprings Church Roads in this part of Pennsylvania. Again, we ignore the written direction and turn right and at least follow the signs. Besides, two different cars ahead of us also turn right. It became quickly apparent this was wrong as we are in the middle of somebody's farm.So we go back to the intersection and notice a sign that says "Hulisz Wedding Straight Ahead 3 miles". Again, printed directions for our benefit. Finally, after numerous detours, we arrive at the reception.


This little adventure reminds me of how we neglect the written, printed word of God. I am referring to the Bible. 2 Tim. 3:16 tells us it is literally God breathed. Somehow we rationalize that it is out of date and we live in an enlightened age. Or we may tell ourselves that it isn't for this particular situation, that it doesn't apply. The written word is for our own good - not because God hates us but because God loves us. The world sends confusing signals (like our confusing sign) and we follow them like lemmings to the sea. My default mode was my own way. The GPS is better because it is cool technology and I basically tell it where to go and it sends me (I can hear the voice of my 85 year old dad telling me the GPS is not to be trusted).

The Bible is timeless in its application. Yes, it was written in a specific time and space and in a particular culture. But it is every bit as relevant to us today as it was then. And it won't steer me wrong. It shows me myself and it shows me my Savior. It shows me how to live and who to live for. It can be trusted.

No comments:

Post a Comment