Sunday, October 30, 2016

2016 Election - Is This the End of Civility?

A friend of my wife recently commented to her that she prayed before voting early this year and then after casting her vote, she just cried. Such is the state of this election year. This election has separated co-workers, friends, and families. It has even impacted our own family.

I love our freedom in our country to vote. And I appreciate that we have the ability to say what is on our mind about who we vote for. However, I look at it and say I am an ambassador of Jesus Christ and as such it is not remotely worth it for me to cloud my Savior with who I want as President. The two are not tied in any way whatsoever. So why would I want to risk confusion of one vs. the other. So I don't put politics on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc. I won't even tell you who I am voting for. I will cast my vote, but in a few weeks I will support whoever wins the election because that is what I am supposed to do (Romans 13).

There is an aspect of this election that is even more troubling however. As cantankerous as previous elections have been, this one rises to a much higher level. I cannot remember EVER this level of personal attacks. John Kasich vowed to stay positive and it probably cost him. Barbs, jabs, and personal attacks seem to be the mode of our Reality TV era. Does this trouble you like it does me? James the writer says we are to be "Quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger, for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God". It seems to me the evidence of a society that is slowly unraveling. Moving to Canada is probably not the answer. But being a change agent of casting aside bitterness and rancor probably is. I pray our country moves past this point and embraces the kind of common good we had in the days immediately after 911. 

No comments:

Post a Comment