Sunday, October 2, 2016

The Wrong Story

A woman leaves three kittens in a hot, overheated car causing the kittens to go into severe distress before someone spotted the kittens and called police. The police break into the car and rescue the kittens and arrest the women on a felony charge of animal cruelty.

This might be the end of the story - we would all agree that leaving kittens in a hot car is truly negligence and the woman should be charged. As I read this story, I was struck by what was mentioned as an afterthought. The woman was homeless and had gone into a church seeking help. I love animals as much as anybody but they are not human beings made in the image of God. Something is deeply troubling when we elevate animals above people. I am also troubled that the place that she should expect help is in a church. Instead the article focuses on the plight of the kittens.

My heart went to this woman and what she must have been thinking. I don't know anything about her, but I do know she had no place to go and she went to the right place. Now there may have been more to the story - I don't know. Maybe the woman received the help she sought. If so, that would have been a better story. If not, I think it is a misplaced story because our callous hearts must go to our sister first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment