Saturday, November 9, 2013

Guilty of Fiery Hell

Everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court and whoever says to his brother, "You good-for-nothing" shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says "You fool", shall be guilty enough to go to fiery hell.
Matthew 5:22

I love to bike ride and since we moved to Brecksville, I am in the biking version of heaven.  We live at the fulcrum of three park systems.  Hundreds of miles of bike paths all within 2-4 miles.  Normally, I don't wear my headphones when I bike ride as it is inhibits listening to traffic.  But if biking on a trail, I didn't see much risk.  So today I put on my headphones and was beep-bopping down the Summit County Bike-n-Hike trail to gospel music.  I was just praising God, occasionally lifting my hands up.  Then there it was ahead - my super pet peeve.  A group walking four across a path oblivious to the fact that a cyclist or even a runner might be passing them.  I feel my blood boil and usually I yell out "On your left" in a very defiant tone. 

So in the midst of my praise, I am yelling "On your left" and there was no movement.  So I yell again "On your left".  I have to slow down (which I hate because you know I am on a timer) to go around them.  So as I go around them, I mutter probably in a voice loud enough for them to hear "Idiot".  I no sooner than I get around them that I start to praise God again.

The Holy Spirit brought that verse to my mind. 

My Lord, how you redeem broken people! I am deeply broken and I know it.  If you knew half of my thoughts, you would never associate with me.  I lust, I crave, I envy, I despise even those closest to me.  I started praying recently that I wouldn't despise my wife.  Now I love my wife and it is zero she has done.  No, even better, I adore my wife.  She is cool beans.  It is me (sounds like a Dear John letter). 

We need to be continually reminded that God has rescued, redeemed us with the most precious gift imaginable, the gift of the broken body and shed blood of the Lord Jesus.  That carries a name - redemption.  And with redemption comes another name - sanctification.  It means that our sin is replaced by the presence of God's Holy Spirit within us.  Not through our own power but through His power. 

If you are not continually reminded of your depravity,  I am not sure you recognize the full power of the Gospel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment