Sunday, November 17, 2013

Lessons From Job - Part 1

What a week!  First, my father-in-law was admitted to intensive care where he still is after nearly a week.  Second, my uncle and aunt were involved in a severe auto accident and my aunt sustained severe back injuries.  If that weren't all enough, the church where my uncle is a pastor sustained a damaging fire.  As we sit here today, my family is struggling.  We just returned from visiting my father-in-law and it was very sobering and emotional to see such a man who you associate with being so strong and in charge being so frail and helpless. 

I had just finished reading and studying the book of Job.  Normally, I have struggled with reading Job.  It seems to be endless in its back and forth.  It is also a problematic book.  How could God make a cosmic wager with Job?  But my latest foray into Job produced more insight than I have ever experienced before.  I asked God to show me insight into this complicated book.  I wrote down lessons as I went through and have captured a dozen or so that I would like to share with you over several blog posts. It is helpful to sit back from Job and look at it from a 30,000 foot view.

Job is the ultimate example of suffering
Job suffers more than we ever could and thus we could never be in a position than Job to complain to God.  Job lost the three "P's".  He had immense physical resources, which he lost suddenly.  He lost personal relationships with losing his family via tragedy and his friends by rebuke.  He lost his physical body.  Have you lost physical possessions?  Never more than Job.  Lose a close family member?  Job lost his whole family.  Had friends turn on you?  Not like Job.  Lose physical ability? Not more than Job.  I truly believe Job is as strong as it is so we can see a model sufferer, strange as that sounds.

I am very tempted to feel sorry for myself from time to time.  Why is God putting me through the ringer?  Then I see model sufferer - those who I think are suffering and enduring it with grace, not losing their love for Christ.  I even more respect my father-in-law having seen him suffer these past few days with grace and humility.  We saw evidence of his dry sense of humor.  Job is our model sufferer, one that we see coming through out of grace.  Can we suffer as well as Job?

It is ok to complain to God
Job complained and God listened.  I am so thankful for Job's complaints.  Much of the book of Psalms are complaints to God.  The complaints don't abandon the person's faith.  Job's faith in God remained, but he questioned why.  There is much we don't understand because we only see things this side of earth and even then, we can't fully understand what God is doing.  Perhaps there are things going on that we don't see like Job.  We are called to pray and trust.  Not sure how that works itself out, but it does.  God does not reject our complaining.  In the closing chapters of Job, God does not feel free to answer Job's complaints - instead He lays out the vast expanse of His knowledge and creative power.  But he doesn't reject those complaints.  I see heroes of the faith like Paul cry out in their suffering. 

In a strong relationship, there is mutual trust.  I feel 100% free to speak my mind to my wife (hasn't always been that way) and vice-versa. There is dialogue with God, not monologue.   Why do we get angry with our spouse? - because there is love.  Why do we get angry with God? - because there is love.  There couldn't be anger if there wasn't love to start with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment