Sunday, January 25, 2015

Did God Help Seattle Win?

Russell Wilson gave tribute to God and even intimated that God helped/enabled the Seahawks defeat the Packers last week.

I admire that Russell Wilson gave glory to God in this post-game interview. I certainly appreciate that more than guys who thump their chest after making a big play. Did God enable Seattle to win? I don't know - God can do anything so far from me to question that it is not appropriate.  However, the following thoughts passed through my head.
  1. God uses our weaknesses far more than our strengths. In weakness, God is most magnified. In weakness there is little else left in us besides God. In most cases, there is little doubt that God is behind it. In an athletic contest, it is pretty murky who is behind the results.
  2. Victory in Jesus is based on the forces of darkness against the forces of light not the forces of light against the forces of light. Winners and losers are part of life but I would very much hesitate to say God picks winners at the expense of losers. I would like to think that the Packers would not believe that God is against them. See Aaron Rodgers assessment.
  3. I can't think of a single Bible verse that references competition between parties. The domain of athletic contests is more based on preparation, self discipline, and competing according to the rules. Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. And everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; but I buffet my body and make it my slave, lest possibly, after I have preached to others, I myself should be disqualified. (1 Cor. 9:24-27).
  4. Often, a time gap exists after a point of failure when self reflection occurs and God is able to work through weakness.  Imagine a player pointing to the sky after a fumble or a missed field goal. I think such a player would likely be run out of town. But fast-forward years later and recovery refocuses on the inner strength God gives us to rebound. Consider Ernest Byner who now many years later from a devastating fumble in the AFC championship is able to write a book about it called "Everybody Fumbles". 
  5. In the pages of scripture, success often is pointed in terms of spiritual disciplines. Joshua 1:8 talks about for example, Joshua meditating on the word of God day and night and then he would have success as he prepares to go into the promised land.

No comments:

Post a Comment