Sunday, January 18, 2015

My Fake Friend

Around Christmas time, I received the following envelope.


Looks like a Christmas Card like the others we receive around the holidays. But I don't know a Chris Thomas in El Segundo, CA. so of course I opened it. And inside is this advertisement for Direct T.V.


I had been duped. As Ralphie would say in A Christmas Story, "A Crummy Commercial". Someone pretended to know me so they could get what they wanted from me. Isn't that terrible? Did not incline me to buy Direct TV at all.

Then the Holy Spirit prompted me in gentle, but firm words "but you do that to people to". I act in a way that is not much different than that envelope scam. As a businessman, I try to get people to do things for me and I can pretend to be interested in them or generate false compliments. In other words, I am not authentic. In the Greek language of the NT, the word hypocrite translated to an actor, someone who is false and fake. Jesus said do not be like the hypocrites, an actor.

Be authentic. Do things for people without expectation of return. Don't manipulate people. Don't be a hypocrite. That is what God requires of me and you.

No comments:

Post a Comment