Sunday, January 4, 2015

Watch Out - Danger Ahead!

The movie ended and we were exiting the theater. Something is amiss.
  • People can't exit through the lobby - it is closed off
  • Some people appear to not want to leave the theater
  • Two police officers with unmuzzled police dog are on our left as we exit the theater
  • 10+ police cars lining drive on both sides
  • 4-6 police officers in front of main entrance talking to a group of kids and taking notes
  • Another group of police officers by the street telling people to leave
  • WAY too many young people, most of them guys, milling around
  • Raised voices
  • Palpable feeling of unrest
These are the clues that my wife told me I missed as we exited the Valley View Cinema on Friday night. Apparently there was a fight occurring just before our movie finished around 9:00. Read about it HERE. I was busy jabbering about how poor the movie was (The Hobbit - Part 3) and how shallow the character Legolas was and how Peter Jackson should have quit with Lord of the Rings....  I noticed kids congregating near the entrance but missed almost all of the clues that told me that things weren't normal. It was only when Debsue gave a gentle tug on my waistband of my pants indicating subtly to me that she was a little scared that I took my focus off of my individual tunnel and noticed the potential danger in front of me.

That little illustration reminded me of the dangers of tunnel vision when it comes to spiritual battles. Sin is "crouching at your door and its desire is to have you" (Gen. 4:7). Do you know that every day is a battle for your soul? Every day there are clues surrounding us that we live in a fallen world; that there is danger surrounding us. We are in serious warfare with an adversary that wants our soul.

For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but have divine power to destroy strongholds. 2 Cor. 10:3-4

Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion seeking someone to devour. 1 Peter 5:8

Alertness is what is required. Don't be like me and be caught unaware. The good news is that if you know Christ, the war has already been one. But even though the war is won, the enemy still fights battles. Naivete and passivity leave us exposed. Be aware - be on the alert!

No comments:

Post a Comment