Sunday, November 14, 2010

Light to the Eyes

The commands of the Lord are radiant giving light to the eyes.
Psalm 19:8

A number of years back, I had Lasik surgery.  It was an amazing thing for me because I was incredibly nearsighted most of my life.  In fact, my vision at the time of surgery was 20/2000 which is ten times the legal blind limit.  I had to wear these huge thick lenses if I was wearing glasses or some very high correction contact lenses.  After I had the surgery, I remember thinking initially I was ripped off because I didn’t see all that well (even though they told me it took 24 hours or more to see it truly take effect).  The next morning, I looked at my alarm clock and I could see.  I walked over to the window and could actually see my front lawn clear as a bell.  But the true test was television.  I turned it on and actually watched the clarity of the Flintstones from bed.  it was truly amazing to see again without any assistance. 

Scripture enables us to see the world from a different set of lenses.  No longer are we looking at things from a human perspective but we see things from God’s perspective.  We have illumination that enables us to see the world in clarity.  God’s commands are not seen as punitive, but prescriptive.  Further, the text says they are radiant meaning they shine forth in pure glory into our lives.  The word of God is etched into you soul (see Hebrews 4:12).  It speaks to you, it draws you into fellowship.  It is Lasik for our lives as “I once was blind, but now I see”.

No comments:

Post a Comment