Sunday, November 21, 2010

Whom Shall I Fear?

The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
Psalm 27:1

Several years ago, I had two blood clots to my lung that resulted in a potentially very serious medical condition.  The doctor told me that there are three types of blood clots; those you don’t even notice, those that will kill you and, and those in between.  I asked him which category this fell into and he told me closer to the one that will kill you.  Throughout this ordeal, I never had a fear of dying and I don’t generally have a fear of dying.  I am assured of eternal life through the shed blood of Jesus so I have no reason to fear death. 

However, I must admit that there are definitely things that give me a dread of fear.  One is a long debilitating illness that is a drain on me and my family.  Another is a fear of failure.  As I have experienced failure, I have found God gives us tremendous grace to encounter these fears head-on.  As I recently have experienced failure, I have learned the power of God’s grace firsthand.  He always provides enough grace that we can handle those trials when they come up.  James says we are to consider it “pure joy”  when we encounter trials which tests our very fears.  In 1st Corinthians 10:13, we learn there is no temptation that has overtaken us and God is faithful and provides the way of escape so we may be able to endure it.  While this applies to temptations, this same word can also apply to trials.  God patiently bears up our fears and failures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment