Sunday, January 29, 2012

Entering a New Era–Our Baby is 21

Our baby Bethany turns 21 tomorrow.  It seems like just yesterday they were littleimage kids.  Bethany was our little blonde haired bundle of sunshine.  She was always sunny (and for the most part still is).  I am sure her mom will blog on this special event tomorrow, but I want to blog about the passage of an era.  All our kids are now over 21!

You realize as you pass through the passage of child-rearing how difficult it is to be a good parent.  I remember many times making major mistakes as a parent – spanking out of anger, saying things I shouldn’t have said, not spending enough time with them, etc.  Meghan likes to remind me of when I told her she had a beer gut in 7th grade.  She says that was not a great thing to see to an adolescent girl (you think!).  It is a miracle that any child turns out alright.  Our prayer was always that somehow they would honor God and know Him personally.  We also pledged our commitment to each other in marriage.  It is extra tough for kids with parents who aren’t committed to each other.

imageAs we pass this milestone, it is hard to realize that our kids are now officially adults in every definition, legal and otherwise.  While Bethany is still in college and somewhat dependent, she like her two sisters is in charge of her own life.  We fully expect our kids to ask for guidance, help, and prayer.  That remains – even at age 52 like I am.  We remain prayer warriors for our kids – that is the best thing we can do for them.  Our direct influence is nearly over, but our indirect influence is still substantial.  I am reminded that they still look to us in many ways. 

Just as I did not completely understand what was coming with parenthood, I am not completely sure what will come from here.  I am looking forward to seeing how our kids careers go, if and when they choose and commit to life partners (Meghan is already married), and most importantly how they serve a living God.  And of course, should we get grandchildren, we look forward to entering that next era, Lord willing!

No comments:

Post a Comment