Sunday, January 15, 2012

Weighing in on Tebowmania

I am very thankful for Tim Tebow.  He is the real deal and I am very thankful that he is vocal about his faith and our shared faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.  He is a brother in the Lord.  And he has never once said (at least to the best of my knowledge) that God gave him the victory.  What he has done is taken advantage of the platform that God has given him. 

I am a little concerned when I hear people say that God gave the victory to Denver.  I am not saying God can’t do that, but it is a little scary when I hear people being presumptuous about God’s purposes which are mysterious to us.  There is much more that we don’t know that that we do know.  Denver won because Pittsburgh was way over-aggressive in their defense thinking Denver couldn’t execute on a pass offense.  Troy Polamalu, also a committed Christian in particular was burned.  Does that mean that Polamalu is any less a Christian than Tebow?  No – just bad game plan.  I also don’t think God gave Tebow 316 yards of passing offense to make that match John 3:16.  When Denver was losing 45-10 to New England in the fourth quarter last night, I commented to my wife tongue in cheek that God will have a hard time overcoming another law of time to get this victory.  Did God give up on Tebow or Denver?  I don’t think so.  New England was the better team. 

The platform is great.  But as Christians, let’s not make this the success gospel.  God may choose to give us platforms, but we should never presume that it is the Christians overcoming the pagans.  Daniel, Esther, Nehemiah, Joseph, and others were given platforms for purposes unbeknownst to us and them and He may choose to give us platforms and we need to be ready for it.  But let us not presume that we are somehow deserving of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment