Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Wrestling with God

The two sports I did in high school were baseball and wrestling.  I was a much better baseball player than wrestler.  But somehow I ended up wrestling three years in college but no baseball.  The following clip came from the vault is from me wrestling in college for Valparaiso University. 

Many people have a wrong perception of wrestling.  They think of it kind of like we see on Word Wide Wrestling or “rasslin” as some put it.  Much of wrestling is strategic.  For example, I tried a move in the match in the clip where I try to jump backwards while the opponent is holding the leg up high and it is a high risk-reward move.  If it is successful, I can actually get not only the takedown, but potential back points.  However, if it fails as in the clip, it is an easy 2 point takedown for the opponent and potentially back points for him. 

We have similar lack of perception of Jacob and his “rasslin” match with God in Genesis 32.  Wrestling may not be the right term.  It really is holding on for dear life.  The prophet Hosea in 12:4 characterizes it as prevailing with tears as he sought God’s favor.  Jacob is the trickster and his name means “heel catcher”.  He is a carnal man.  But now, he is about to be broken literally physically and spiritually as he strives with God.  God cripples him physically as a sign to his spiritual brokenness.  He is a changed man.  What was Jacob, the carnal man becomes Israel the spiritual man. 

Do we think that we can manipulate God?  God is prepared to allow us to wrestle with him as we strive with him.  He will allow us to question, to be disappointed, to be broken.  If you don’t think so, read the Psalms.  My friend Pastor Dean used to say we have “gymnasium experiences” with God.  Gymnasium experiences are rarely pleasant, but they produce a depth of spiritual growth that could never be possible without the experience.  I’ve had my share and I am so thankful for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment