Sunday, January 1, 2012

This Could be the Year

Christians are called to live their lives in light of eternity.  We are simply sojourners in light of the bigger picture of eternity.  This morning at church we were reminded by our pastor that 2012 could in fact be the year that Christ returns for His bride, the church.  If we knew that, what would change?  Are we vigilant, living our lives with that thought in mind?  I am not talking about becoming insular, but taking a kingdom living mindset.

I read through the Bible systematically each year, but I change it up each year.  This year, I am going through J. Vernon McGee’s Through the Bible.  I take one chapter at a time and really dive in.  I started earlier this month.  I figure it will take me three years this way, but I am learning so much more.  So this morning in Genesis 23, I was studying the death and burial of Sarah at age 127.  Abraham purchases a field in a country that he has been promised by God.  He fully anticipates that God will keep to His word even though it is not clear when that will happen.  It does actually happen way beyond his lifetime 500 some years later.  Put that in perspective – imagine some guy from the 16th century acting on a promise that does not occur until the 21st century.  Yet he still has to deal with the current reality that even though God tells him he will own the land, he doesn’t yet.  So he buys the land for the market price.  Even though the land is his, he is still an alien in the land. 

So it is for us – we are aliens in a world that is not yet ours.  But we live our lives in light of God’s eternal promises.  There is so much more to this life and this life encompasses much beyond the grave.  So 2012 is when I hope I can even more grasp that truth and live in light of eternity. 

Beginning in 2012, this blog will be updated on Sundays and Wednesdays.  I really believe The Overflow Life blog is about a spiritual mindset.  Like all of you, I get caught up in day to day stuff and miss the really important things.  This blog is about understanding life from an eternal perspective.  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment